- Credit: Capt Charles Smith, 2013
- Credit: Capt Charles Smith, 2013
- Credit: Graham Stewart, 2013
Live Weather at Port 1149 NZDT
Nestled between a sparkling harbour and rolling green hills, Wellington offers a chic city experience with a stunning natural setting. One of Wellington’s most appealing features is its size. The compact and cosmopolitan downtown area is just two kilometres across, so it is easy to stroll between shops, galleries, attractions and cafes. The cruise ship terminal at CentrePort Wellington is conveniently located near the city, and has visitor information staff, paid Internet and phone facilities at the terminal.
Aotea Quay is the main port facility.
Small ships sometimes dock at Queens Wharf.
Channel Depth: 37.4 feet (11.4 metres) at chart datum
Max LOA: Unlimited
Max Draft Alongside: 30.2 feet (9.2 metres) at chart datum
Shore Gangways: Available
Neap – 3.3 feet (1.0 metres)
Spring – 3.3 feet (1.0 metres)
Distance to the city
Aotea Quay: 1.3km (0.8 miles)
Queens Wharf: Docks right in the city
It is a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute drive to the city.
A shuttle service is provided at Aotea Quay. There may be a cost for the shuttle depending on the cruise line.
Getting a taxi to the city centre will cost around NZD $15.
Local public buses can be accessed from the Wellington Railway Station. Travel within inner city cost NZD$2 per trip.
Docks right in the city.
Wellington is a compact and walkable city. You can walk from one end of town to the other in 30 minutes.
Wellington Combined Taxis, +64 4 384 4444, www.taxis.co.nz.
You can hire a taxi for NZD$65 per hour in Wellington city or NZD$75 per hour to Kapiti Coast or the Wairarapa.
Public Bus Service
Metlink, Freephone 0800 801 700, www.metlink.org.nz.
Distance to the Airport
8.5 km (about 18 mins) or 5.28 miles
ATM machines/ Currency Exchange
ATM machines can be found all around the city and currency exchange can be done in banks.
Mon-Thu: 9am to 5pm
Fri: 9am to 7pm
Sat: 10am to 5pm
Sun: 10.30am to 4pm
New World, Wellington Railway Station, Bunny Street, +64 4 499 1299
Nearest Internet Café
Aotea Quay cruise terminal has Internet terminals
i-SITE Visitor Centre, Civic Square, +64 4 802 4860, www.wellingtonNZ.com
Free Wi-Fi is provided along Wellington’s waterfront by Frank Kitts Park and Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongerewa via cbdfree.
- Parliament Buildings Post Shop, 1 Molesworth Street, +64 4 473 6405
- Lambton Quay Post Shop, 94-98 Lambton Quay, +64 4 472 3301
Summer: High of 69F (20°C), low of 56F (13°C)
Winter: High of 52F (11°C), low of 43F (6°C)
Average rainfall of 1270mm and average sunshine of 2025 hours.
Download the Wellington cruise map here.
- Aotea Quay terminal, visitor guides to answer queries, provide Wellington visitor information and city maps.
- Wellington i-SITE, Civic Square, on the cnr of Wakefield and Victoria Streets, +64 4 802 4860, www.WellingtonNZ.com
- Additional mobile information kiosks manned by Wellington City Ambassadors are located at the Cable Car lower terminus and on Brandon Street on most cruise days.
What is Wellington known for?
- Being the ‘coolest little capital in the world’ according to Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2011.
- Compact and walkable capital city in a handsome harbour setting.
- Great nature experiences close to the city.
- Telling the nation’s stories at great museums, galleries and cultural attractions.
- Home to Peter Jackson’s film studios and host city for The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey world movie premiere in November 2012.
- Vibrant café and restaurant scene with Wairarapa wine region nearby.
Attractions & Attractions
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
- Wellington Cable Car
- Mount Victoria lookout
- Parliament Tour
- Carter Observatory
- Lookout at the top of the Cable Car terminus by Wellington Botanic Garden
For more information on visitor attractions, visit www.WellingtonNZ.com.
Contact: Derek Nind, General Manager Commercial
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Contact: Bridget MacDonald, Manager Tourism Marketing
Positively Wellington Tourism
Contact: Jo Heaton, Trade Marketing Manager
Contact: Ross Dunn
View the full calendar here
This site has been designed for cruise lines, cruise ships and the travel trade in mind. If you are a passenger and wish to find out more about New Zealand or travel deals to New Zealand, please visit www.newzealand.com. We look forward to welcoming you!